Monday, July 18, 2005

So I said to the lady at NHS HQ….

"Hello, I wonder if you can help me, a Government Minister has hailed the increase in dental check-up charges as "Making the system fairer and simpler for everyone."

"The rise in charges is envisaged to be up to around £12 – but I understand that there will be no check up charges whatsoever for people living in Scotland. They will pay absolutely nothing, it will be totally F.O.C"…..

"F.O.C.?"

"Free of charge."

"Oh dear, I thought everyone in the UK had to pay. I didn’t know that some people got it free while other people have to pay.

"Well it ain’t, people in England always have to pay. In Scotland it’s free, courtesy of the Barnett formula. Now that’s the kind of system that really is fairer and simpler – don’t you think? The Barnett formula modus operandi is to get some other mug to pay for your health obligations… It just isn’t right is it?"

"Oh I agree."….

"So why can’t the people living in England have free, free, free check ups – as of right?" And why is charging us in England £12 per check up more 'simpler and fairer' than charging the Scots 'nix'?

………………………………………………………………………
- Pause pregnento interminable – and then some………
………………………………………………………………………

"Let me get back to you with an answer."

I’m still waiting.

3 comments:

David said...

Free of charge in Scotland? Rubbish! Dentist NHS £5.25 or Prviate £15 for an inspection

Alfie said...

David - the Scottish Executive has voted in free dental inspections. This will take effect by 2007... along with free eye tests! (About the same time that ours will be going through the roof! Devolution, ain't it great?)

If in doubt - have a look at these sources my friend.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3101256.stm

http://static.highbeam.com/s/scotlandonsundayedinburghscotland/march022003/freedentalcheckupsforall/

http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=1254&id=228812005

David said...

Well slap me with a wet haddock and call me Cyril....!

It is wrong though - why should I get free when relatives in England and Wales do not? Oh sugar...they'll all be visiting me up here now and getting their teeth sorted at the same time. Bugger.